[Discuss] [Open Manufacturing] Lady Ada interviews Autodesk after EAGLE purchase

Javier Serrano Javier.Serrano at cern.ch
Wed Jul 6 13:30:37 UTC 2016

On 07/06/2016 02:03 PM, Tom Igoe wrote:
> Thanks Javier,
>
> For those who’ve been hooked on Eagle forever, is there a guide to transitioning to Kicad available anywhere?  Perhaps instructions on converting your libraries, or what to look out for when migrating a project from Eagle to Kicad?  I think for many people, the desire to do the open-source thing is only going to take them part of the way. Instructions and guides and easy translation are a big help too.
>
> Tom

A quick informal survey in the corridor reveals that such a document
probably does not exist. The perfect people to write it would be the
Olimex guys, who just moved from Eagle to KiCad [1]. I wonder if Tsvetan
is on this list. I discussed the process with him when I saw him in
FOSDEM earlier this year. It is not a trivial move, partly because of
KiCad having its own quirks and mostly because once you get used to a
tool, it ends up feeling natural somehow. But people seem to be happy of
the move after a while. If Tsvetan does not answer here, I will write to
him and try to follow this up. I agree it would be a useful document.

Cheers,

Javier

[1] See e.g.
https://olimex.wordpress.com/2016/02/17/a64-olinuxino-64-bit-arm-oshw-designed-completely-with-kicad-is-live/