[Discuss] discuss Digest, Vol 10, Issue 13

Leonardo Marcos Saccomanno leomsaccomanno at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 17:20:39 UTC 2013

Hello everyone!

First of all I wanted to thank you all, because I feel this is one of the
most important discussion I´ve ever been involved into.

I think OSHW community isn´t just the people in this list or
companies/hobbyist developing OSHW products. We should be considering those
12 years old kids and the way OSHWA could explain them why is important to
share knowledge. After all they are the future and so I think education
should be the priority here.

I share Nathan´s idea that OSHWA should be as decentralized as possible,
although in the last meeting we voted to give more power to the board with
the idea that this would make things simpler and faster. So here I see that
we need to establish a compromise between decentralization vs. ease of
organization.

We all understand that having a mark that assures that the product is
really open source is great, but I also agree with those who said that open
sourcing stuff should be easy and direct, because we also want to empower
innovation and adding more processes to the line seems to slow things down.
So here is another compromise between good design vs. ease of
implementation.

I feel than some ideas were repeated here and I´m not being the exception,
so I think is of vital importance to compile email threads as Nathan
proposed. Not just to see and rethink what we´ve been discussing about, but
also to give an easier access to information for those who want to join the
discussion in the future. For this, I have the idea of compiling
information in the form of questions, to clearly state that things are not
resolved yet and need to be re-thinked and re-analized to clarify what we
need and what should we be doing to get there.

I hope you all have an excellent day and week,

Leo