[Discuss] "ask a lawyer" video open-source hardware, trademarks and more (and altium interview coming up)

phillip torrone pt at adafruit.com
Thu Mar 16 20:42:50 UTC 2017

> On Mar 16, 2017, at 4:30 PM, Jeffrey Warren <jeff at publiclab.org> wrote:
> Hi, just want to say I love the "ask a lawyer" idea. Kudos!

thank you!

we hope and plan to do this again and more.

the goal with our videos is to make sure the internet isn't just a box of wires, we want to take time help the community with experts and topics we would have liked to see and hear when were getting started, or even now, or in the future. cat videos are great, we make those too, we also want to have educational videos with important topics for the open-source and open-source hardware community.

we're often told that there isn't an audience for this, there is compelling evidence to the contrary.

fun side story, the creative commons lawyer met with a bunch of us a long time ago and that is where the open source hardware definition was started.

email is below :)

oddly enough, or not... it was 7 years ago to the day!
--Wednesday March 17th, 2010---

> Sometimes I've heard different things from different lawyers, especially where the law isn't clear or hasn't been applied to a new concept (and had time to set some precedents and such). Curious on your thoughts, and maybe that's a question for a lawyer itself?

good question for a lawyer for sure :)

cheers,
pt