[Discuss] Call for OSH arcticles on opensource.com

Joshua joshua.m.pearce at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 12:21:34 UTC 2017

Hi All

As some of you know Opensource.com has been branching out from its roots in
FOSS and now has a steady drum beat for open hardware.  The open call for
the May 2017 special issue will be on Hardware
<https://opensource.com/resources/editorial-calendar>

If you have any open hardware projects that you want to get the word out
about - please consider sharing on their platform. I just got access to see
their readership data and it is respectably large. For example, the last
article I posted on using an open hardware methodology to obliterate the
cost of consumer goods
<https://opensource.com/article/17/3/how-to-create-consumer-goods-open-hardware>
was read over 10k times in a week. Still not competitive with videos of a
cat flushing a toilet but not bad exposure...Hopefully the platfrom will be
of use to your projects.

*Details below:*

*Hardware*
Article ideas:

What open hardware board or open source tool for hardware do you love?
What project(s) have you made with open hardware / open source software for
your hardware project?
X reasons to use open hardware today / why open hardware matters
How to get started with the X (open hardware board or open source tool for
hardware)
Other ideas? Send story ideas to open at opensource.com or using our webform
<https://opensource.com/story>

*Proposals due <https://opensource.com/how-submit-article>: March 13*

*Drafts due: April 3*

--
Joshua M. Pearce, Ph.D.
Associate Professor

Open-Source Lab: How to Build Your Own Hardware and Reduce Research Costs
<http://www.appropedia.org/Open-source_Lab>