[Discuss] 300K funding for open hardware & open source software?

Mastro Gippo gipmad at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 15:19:10 UTC 2016

Hi Hannah,
I remember seeing your projects a few years ago on HaD and I really liked
them!
I think that it's going to be really hard to find private investors willing
to put money on that kind of project; most of them want a direct and safe
ROI so the focus right now is in mainstream technology IMHO, otherwise you
really have to find someone passionate about the project. Have you tried
talking with companies like MOOG that have some interest in open source?
Another way, which I'm currently pursuing for my osh project, is to apply
for EU funding; it's a very bureaucratic process but on the other hand it
forces you to write down a clear business plan and gives you a good view on
how to manage the company.
Horizon 2020 gives you up to 2.5mil eur, but you have to self fund (via
private investor, loan, etc.) 30% of the amount.
https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/horizon2020/

Good luck!
Mastro Gippo