[Discuss] Envienta

Wouter Tebbens wouter at freeknowledge.eu
Tue Mar 1 12:47:57 UTC 2016

Last year I had stumbled upon Envienta. My impression was (and is) that
they put a considerable amount of open source marketing blabla in their
brochure and website, primarily to *sell apartments*.

As observed I could not find any designs published on their site.

We should check with its team though to hear what they are actually
contributing to the community. Gabor Kiss seems to be their leader.

Using the terms "open source" and "ecology" together as a byline is in
itself not an infringement, I'd say (IANAL / TINLA of course).

Fact is that they don't use the OSE trademark apart from those
dictionary words.

I'd go for the friendly letter asking to:
a) signal on their website that their project is not related whatsoever
to the original Open Source Ecology project.
b) that Open Source Ecology has a particular meaning, which they
sh/could explain and/or refer to, including publishing under free/open
licenses any design, code or content.
c) their project could benefit from showing the contributions they are
making to the global design commons, along the principles practised by
the Open Source Ecology project
d) if they do so, I'm sure they would receive (more) positive feedback
from various communities operating around the globe on these topics.

We wish them good luck with their work.

Brochure: http://envienta.co/downloads/envienta_alternative_lifestyle.pdf
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr24yJb9Pqk&feature=youtu.be

Thanks Franz for the wonderful reaction of Austrian students and
Architects! Hopefully this "anecdote" reaches more people and opens some
eyes :=)

best,

Wouter