[Discuss] EOMA68 Libre Hardware Standard and Libre Software project, currently crowd-funding (deadline expires 26th aug 2016)

Paul Bristow paul at panglosslabs.org
Mon Aug 22 19:34:50 UTC 2016

On 22 Aug 2016, at 21:14, Windell H. Oskay <windell at oskay.net> wrote:

> Also, with absolutely no judgement whatsoever as to the merits of any given argument, it seems that rehashing "libre" versus "open source" may well be off-topic to this mailing list. No amount of thoughtful, considered discussion (nor trash talk!) that one might provide here can settle this once and for all. It has been the topic of a great many heated discussions, going back far longer than this mailing list has been around. We will not settle it here.

Thank you.  I am old enough that I am not very keen to repeat the early days of open source software quite so closely.  We open source hardware people are still so few around the world that almost no-one has even heard of it and there is no open source hardware version of UNIX to keep the dream alive.

For myself, I am fine if people do a replace /open source/libre/ when reading my writing and I will do the reverse, then we can get on with the serious business of how to build the licensing and git equivalents for hardware.

Cheers,

Paul