[Discuss] A guide to open source hardware

Antoine C. smallwindturbineproj.contactor at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 15:17:43 UTC 2016

Hi Jeremy.

According to the state of licences available for openness applied to
things made with atoms (see FSF and OSHWA licences advices), I would
recommend to add to your "best practices", the followings:
  # publish the documentation *in a pedagogic form* (then, it will be
compliant with copyright law, even if some parts are patentable - this,
for French law is really one of key practice)
  # publish in a full compliance way (ID of the people, legal ability to
do it, ...), across one-of-the-best-you-can-find official public
publication way (or equivalent), the entire development process all
along the development process, including any reasoning, drafts, ...
  # never forget that your publication might be claimed by some else,
and you should be really sure about what you publish: if the thing you
publish includes a functional part, then it might be patentable by you
or by some one else, in the past or in the future; if the thing you
publish does not include any functional patentable part, then it will
have *no effect* on manufacturings coming from this thing you published,
except if you are a professional and if the downstream openness
conditions are included into a contract you have with an other
professional part.

In that ways, people might have better chance to publish things correctly.

Love and Peace,
Freely,
Antoine C.