[Discuss] Community-based creation of Open Hardware Knowledge

Nancy Ouyang nancy.ouyang at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 03:59:04 UTC 2015

Yea -- here's a proposal in more detail --

noobuser: "what is CAD"

expertA: "claims" the post.

has five-minute window to write the skeleton for a well-designed answer.
editing window immediately visible to world, but only expertA can write to
it.
meanwhile, other interested people "tag" onto the post.

after five minutes, editing window becomes write-able to maximum 5 people
who tagged onto the post.

they flesh out a v0.1 of the answer together using a real-time
collaborative text editor, like etherpad/google docs hybrid.

editing window visible to world the whole time. [1]

after one hour, v0.1 "published." when this happens,

a) anyone can upvote the "published" post now. upvotes are distributed
evenly to these 6 people.

b) also now anyone in the world (randomexpertA) can contribute to v0.2 and
also give +1/-1. if enough +1s accumulate, expertA is notified. if
randomexpertA'a contributions are merged to "published" version by expertA
(maybe "tag" editors also have admin power to prevent maintainer-leaving
rot), randomexpertA gets to share in the upvotes on the answer.

---> we need to think about how to deal with answers becoming obsolete as
technology changes. pruning? all answers older than 1 year are axed (users
retain their upvotes) automatically, unless saved by a yearly review
committee?

[1] heehee, with all this real-time documentation going on, maybe one day
we will have a "twitch" for documentation writing :P cheer on your favorite
doc writer as he/she heroically distributes knowledge to the world!

Re: timofonic, you might like this post
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/153964/explanatory-electromechnical-animations-what-software-used

> What software exists to aid in explaining electromechanical concepts?

this is like... we need another unconference to have people think about
"software tools for documentation for hardware concepts"... ideally
easily-available software tools, not MATLAB/Simulink... biostar, not
stackoverflow...

sigh. my brain is going to explode soon =/ but thanks everyone for thinking
through these things and being excited with me

~~~
narwhaledu.com, educational robots <http://gfycat.com/ExcitableLeanAkitainu>
 [[<(._.)>]] my personal blog <http://www.orangenarwhals.com>,
orangenarwhals
arvados.org (open source software for provenance, reproducing, and scaling
your analyses)