[Discuss] OSHWA creates one database to rule them all ...

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 22:01:42 UTC 2014

On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Matt Maier <blueback09 at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is also ThingTracker, which has been around for a while and is not
> centralized http://thingtracker.net/

Similar in that spirit was this proposal:
http://gnusha.org/skdb/package_spec.html

However, I think the primary problem with these proposals is one of
incentives-- how do you convince everyone else to start being package
maintainers, or if you can't do that, then are you willing to clobber
everyone's work into packages on your own? Most of the time there aren't
enough files given anyway and there's not much to package up. And even if
there is, then you're left with the problem of limited metadata- which is
only a problem depending on which packager you're talking with ("Well, I
only use packages that specify ports of connectivity on each piece of
hardware", "Oh, I prefer packages that have automated instructions for
assembly and creation by pick n place, cnc, etc.")..I believe the exact
analogy isn't going to transfer from software, and any useful solution will
end up looking pretty alien in the end.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507