[Discuss] Publish OSHW with CC0?

Dr. Peter Troxler trox at fabfolk.com
Wed Nov 5 18:48:50 UTC 2014

On 5 Nov 2014, at 17:30, Emilio Velis <contacto at emiliovelis.com> wrote:

> As I've commented before on this list, the best way to do could be through a decentralized database. I think it was Peter Troxler who mentioned of one that already exists. However, it would be interesting to create a worldwide-applicable open source database that works as a prior art database. So for example, you pay this organization to take your application from scratch or by signing a legal document on which you waive your patent. Then, they open the technology to the public and help you make sure this patent isn't awarded anywhere else.
>
> Pretty hard to implement, but this is why patents are a pain.

I was indeed mentioning a project I'm working on creating a set of metadata to describe hardware projects ... but I wonder what is harder, a useable meta tagging scheme or good image recognition that would lead to linked documentation.

And regarding a database of "pior art" ... this already exists as defensive publication is indeed an IP strategy that some companies use. See https://www.patexia.com/defensive_publication.html for instance

/ Peter