[Discuss] Publish OSHW with CC0?

Roy Nielsen amrset at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 14:37:22 UTC 2014

Hello,

Since the laws in the US recently changed from "first to invent" to "first
to patent" - would that affect the conversation?  Someone putting something
in the open domain - then some company deciding to patent it via "first to
patent"?  I believe most of the world's patent law is on "first to patent"
status.  If something is in the open domain - is that sufficient to prove
prior art?  I am not a lawyer, so I don't know the answer.

Also, if hardware design is in the open domain - how do we get companies to
give back to the process?

I agree that if lobbying and lawmaking goes awry, it could be bad for open
hardware - therefore, the people leading the charge would have to really be
in touch with what is needed to protect open hardware rights.

Regards,
-Roy