[Discuss] "open spec": an ambiguous term?

Drew Fustini pdp7pdp7 at gmail.com
Fri May 23 20:31:22 UTC 2014

Linux.com and LinuxGizmos recently did a survey of top single board
computers (SBCs):
http://www.linux.com/news/embedded-mobile/mobile-linux/773852-top-10-open-source-linux-and-android-sbcs
http://linuxgizmos.com/top-10-hacker-sbcs-survey-results/

Interesting crop of boards and results, but the term "open spec" is
used as the qualifier.  If "open spec" implies that information needed
to reproduce the board is available, then the 1st place SBC in the
results would be disqualified (no Board Layout, no Bill Of Materials).
 If not, then I'm confused by what exactly they mean by the term.

I see the "open spec" term used again here:
http://linuxgizmos.com/open-spec-com-features-quad-core-rockchip/

So I wanted to get the opinion of the list if:
is "open spec" a common term?
does its usage dilute the meaning of "open source hardware"?

thanks,
drew