[Discuss] Is CC BY-NC-SA not Open Source Hardware?

Andrew Back andrew at carrierdetect.com
Fri Apr 11 13:39:51 UTC 2014

On 11 April 2014 14:19, Emilio Velis <contacto at emiliovelis.com> wrote:
> Question. Is there a list of approved licenses for OSHW? For example,
> something like "your work must be under the following licenses".

Not that I know of, but it isn't difficult to ascertain what can be
regarded as such by referring to the Open Source Definition:

  http://opensource.org/osd-annotated

Discrimination against field of endeavour being the issue at hand here.

If in doubt simply consider whether the licence is aligned with open
source as it has come to be understood over the last 17 or so years.
Every now and again you see attempts to subvert this, e.g. via use of
NC licences with the term or purported ancillary rules, but you cannot
change the meaning of something so well established. Which is not to
say that there are not opportunities for new paradigms and which adopt
some term other than "open source".

> Regarding NC, that would be shareware by the book.

Not really, as you rarely get the source with shareware.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Back