[Discuss] Open Hardware Toolchain Survey

Matt Maier blueback09 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 16:19:10 UTC 2013

Peter,

I don't want to publish the results until responses start dribbling off
because seeing what other people wrote might shift someone's input.

However, I'll be attending the OSHWA's Documentation Jam at the end of the
month, so whatever I have at that point will be compiled and presented to
help guide discussion. At the moment I don't see any reason to not just
make the compiled information public at that point.

As for how, I'll probably just make the original spreadsheet (a google doc)
public along with a new document that has nice charts and analysis to make
it easy to understand.

I assure you that part of the reason it's anonymous is that the raw
the data (minus anything stupid like blank/spam/nonsense responses).

Once the information exists in a useful way it will be part of the basis
for 1) community discussion of how to document open hardware and 2)
discovery of existing tools that are unknown or aren't being used to their
full potential and 3) creation of new tools to fill in any need-gaps that
aren't being served.

Good questions. I'll put these answers up on the website to help clarify
the context of the survey.

Cheers,
Matt