[Discuss] open hardware documentation survey

Matthias Bock mail at matthiasbock.net
Mon Mar 25 13:08:58 UTC 2013

I guess, one reason why repository projects fail or don't reach broad
attention
is because there are single people creating what they personally believe
should be done.
Results often don't "look" professional/reliable and provide only a very
limited number of features.

In order for a repository project to be successfull, a group of people -
with equal rights
to decide what to do, should be organized. Only this way, users can be sure
to rely on a website and a repository not to vanish or to suddenly not be
maintained anymore etc.

Wikimedia may be a an example here.
They constituted a foundation, this way they also can accept donations
and e.g. spend money on hired programmers.

Personally, I am very much missing an open repository for the development
of hardware,
for electrical schematics as well as for mechanical plans,
for collaborative working, design of construction manuals and so on.
I don't have a lot of time, but I would be ready to contribute to it with
programming if necessary.
The gEDA-js project may be of interest in this context (javascript
schematics design):
https://github.com/matthiasbock/gEDA-js

Cheers, Matthias