[Discuss] Possible abuse of the term "open source hardware"

David Carrier dcarrier at parallax.com
Fri Mar 15 23:37:40 UTC 2013

     Considering the first example, Pogo Linux is selling hardware for
open-source software, which could awkwardly be called  "open source
software hardware", or less awkwardly, as they wrote it, "open source
hardware".  They aren't trying to say the source for their hardware is
open, they are trying to say their hardware is for something (software)
that is open source.  You can't really blame them, and you can't legally
stop them, but we want to draw the distinction whenever possible.  I
think this was the argument for the term using the term "Open Hardware"
over "Open Source Hardware" before OSHWA was founded.

To make the most of the situation I agree it would be worthwhile to send
Pogo Linux an email asking them to clarify their advertisements, but I
don't think there is much else we can do if they don't respond.

--- David Carrier