[Discuss] OSHW Best Practices / Layers of Openness

alicia amgibb at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 17:51:09 UTC 2013

Via a conversation started offlist, we're discussing best practices to
clarify the oshw definition. The conversation was started by Catarina Mota
and Tom Igoe, first about a layering graphic similar to creative commons
and Phil Torrone's Layers of
licensing<http://www.ladyada.net/library/openhardware/whatisit.html>post.
Please view Tom's post below asking for how you currently use the
logo and whether your usage has changed in the past 2 years?

I also raised some questions that we get through OSHWA:

- I plan to release the files in 3/6/12 months, can still use the open
source hw logo?
- Can I use the oshw logo if my project is only partially open source?
- How do I or will OSHWA approach a company who has the open source hw logo
on their boards but no files?
- Must supplier details be given to use the oshw logo?
- Can I use the oshw logo on my product if I am using
a proprietary enclosure from another company, but the insides are mine?
- This movement feels like you're leaving out mechanical designs /
architecture / nanotech, how can I interpret your definition to include my
projects? (This comes to us a lot, which perhaps prompted Catarina to start
exploring a space that would better include them.)
- Can I release some of the software for a license, like a pro version, or
does that go against Free Redistribution, or is it okay because of clause
12 in the definition?
- What are the best practices for releasing a piece of open source hardware
and its documentation under the definition?
- Can I directly copy open source hardware (sans trademark), the oshw
definition says 'yes', but articles on oshw have a resounding 'no'.
- Is a different economic model (selling hw for cheaper or more expensive)
enough to call copied hardware a derivative?

Alicia