[Discuss] The institutionalization of OSHW

Catarina Mota catarina at openmaterials.org
Sat Sep 29 03:00:06 UTC 2012

I'm seriously sleep deprived, so take this with a grain of salt :)

Perhaps we should stop using the expression "OSHW company." Otherwise,
we'll end up having to determine what percentage of a business's products
must be OHSW for that company to be considered open source. We don't need a
company certification process, not right now I think.

While I agree that some people behaved shamefully last week, let's keep in
mind that they're a handful of individuals. Yesterday we stuffed almost 500
people in a warehouse to discuss controversial issues and everyone (as far
as know) behaved beautifully. So much so that the Eyebeam team complimented
us on being unusually friendly, respectful and upbeat. Many sponsors,
speakers and attendees showed up early (some of them were 2 days early)
and, instead of taking a seat, rolled up their sleeves and started
deploying chairs and picking up trash - yup, we put CEOs on trash duty
:) The outpour of love and support in our inbox and twitter stream today
has been one of the most moving things I've experienced. So while we can't
condone rudeness and disrespect, we should also celebrate the majority that
is so kind and supportive.