[Discuss] [DIYbio] Fwd: The institutionalization of OSHW

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 02:43:33 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Tim Schmidt wrote:
> We're not packaging hardware.  We're packaging proto-hardware.  Which
> comes in the form of...    Software.

I don't see the difference.

> So why don't software packages work again?

I never said packaging doesn't work for software. I did mention that
it's an incomplete solution, and repurposing rpm/deb is not the a
workable solution for completely deploying hardware.

> This is why a built-in metadata format like ThingDoc works so well.

Are you referring to its HTML/TeX format?

> Attempting to solve this problem by engineering it in it's entirety,
> in place, is unlikely to yield fruitful results (as I think you're
> familiar from skdb).

That doesn't mean TeX is the best way to package bytecode. I don't
want to read a billion pages of documentation just to install a fablab
or whatever.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507