[Discuss] Ideal government support for open hardware businesses

Christian Villum villum at autofunk.dk
Sun Apr 22 04:55:46 UTC 2018

Hi Joshua,

I share your interest in this space, and would be curious to learn more of
the nature of such government support systems.

To pitch in: Not sure this meets the criteria, but in Denmark we are
running a program called REMODEL, which seeks to help
hardware/manufacturing businesses grow through the development of new open
source-based business models and strategies:

*DANISH GOVERNMENT IS PUSHING MANUFACTURING COMPANIES TO DESIGN NEW OPEN
SOURCE BUSINESS MODELS*

*In Denmark, 10 companies have started exploring new business models for
open source manufacturing in a design-sprint program called REMODEL funded
by the Danish government. The companies, who have signed up through an open
call, come from traditional industries such as furniture, water pump
systems, industrial cutting tools and chemical products, and range from
startups and SME-size to some of Denmarks largest corporations such as
Novozymes and Grundfos.*

*Over the course of the program, which runs as an 8 weeks design sprint -
inspired by the Google Sprint format, but revised into a decentralized,
virtual process - the ambition for the companies in going open source has
been to become able to involve customers and users as co-creators and
thereby rapidly increase the speed at which innovation happens. *

*REMODEL is facilitated by Danish Design Centre, the publicly funded
non-profit national design organisation of Denmark, which is using the
exploratory case work of the companies to create a full-fledged open source
manufacturing business model toolkit. The toolkit will made available under
an open license for free use by anyone later in 2018. An early version of
the REMODEL program was tested in small scale last year with renowned high
fidelity manufacturer Bang & Olufsen, who subsequently has put out their
first open source hardware product on the shelves this spring.*

*Read more about the REMODEL programme here: *
*http://danskdesigncenter.dk/en/remodel*
<http://danskdesigncenter.dk/en/remodel>

*Read about the participating companies here: *
*http://danskdesigncenter.dk/en/10-manufacturing-companies-are-ready-experiment-open-source*
<http://danskdesigncenter.dk/en/10-manufacturing-companies-are-ready-experiment-open-source>

*Learn about Bang & Olufsen’s BeoCreate product: *
*http://danskdesigncenter.dk/en/recreate-bang-olufsen-releases-innovative-open-source-product*
<http://danskdesigncenter.dk/en/recreate-bang-olufsen-releases-innovative-open-source-product>

***

Happy to elaborate and discuss further if relevant.

Venlige hilsner / Kind regards

*Christian Villum*

Programme Director / Programleder

Cell: +45 20 87 71 53

Skype: christianvillum

█▀                                             ▀█

*      Danish Design Centre*

      Bryghuspladsen 8, BLOX

      Entrance C, 2nd floor

      DK-1473 København K