[Discuss] Business model for OSHW projects

Javier Serrano Javier.Serrano at cern.ch
Thu Mar 30 11:57:17 UTC 2017

On 03/28/2017 10:44 PM, Jean-Marie Verdun wrote:

> So roughly, do we have any idea on how to sustain the cost of
> development for complex system ? My idea to keep some margin from sales
> is not bad, as long as the market growth, I am even ready to give that
> money to some non profit foundation who could decide to allocate these
> funds to priority projects.

For our most complex system, the White Rabbit network [1] we have found
that having the users/clients pay for the development costs upfront
(i.e. even before the hardware actually exists) was the only viable
solution. The issue is then how to coordinate the first clients. I am
interested in other ideas if people have any.

Cheers,

Javier

[1] http://www.ohwr.org/projects/white-rabbit/wiki/