[Discuss] Fwd: French PhD Expertise in industrial property, writes an OpenHardware article translated in English

Matt Maier blueback09 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 14:25:31 UTC 2017

Antoine,

Yeah, we haven't figured out a good solution for libre hardware yet.
Copyright works great for intangible things. No equivalent for tangible
things.

That being said, it isn't necessarily worse. The main difference is legal
enforceability. Since hardware gets no protection at all outside of
patents, it's actually public by default; the equivalent of a very
permissive license.

So "open source" hardware works better than "free" hardware because you
can't really enforce the extra restrictions of "free" without an
appropriate legal structure.

The hard part is when the creator doesn't want to allow full public use of
their tangible invention. Personally, I don't think that's worth focusing
on. I'm more on the pragmatic open source side.

I'm not opposed to more options. It might be nice to have some version of
copyright-like protection in between "nothing" and "patent".

On Feb 10, 2017 00:13, "Antoine C." <