[Discuss] Request for Comments: Digital DIY: Legal Challenges & Solutions Practised Report

Matt Maier blueback09 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 12:04:09 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 2:47 PM, lkcl . <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 4:14 PM, Brennen Bearnes <bbearnes at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> NO.  the concept of "intelligence as property" is both fake,
> >> misleading, and utterly arrogant.  how DARE you claim that you can
> >> ENSLAVE ME through OWNERSHIP of the intelligence within MY mind
> >> that is my BIRTHRIGHT.
> >
> > It kind of seems like this rhetorical mode might not be doing us
> > any favors.
>
>  why?

Because a legal standard that's so widely accepted it's roughly the same in
the vast majority of countries shouldn't be referred to as "slavery."

Basically every legal system in the world includes a concept of
"intellectual property" and most of them are remarkably similar,
particularly when compared to other common concepts.

Just the first example off the top of my head is intellectual property in
Saudi Arabia looks like intellectual property in most other countries.
http://www.saudilegal.com/saudilaw/16_law.html
Whereas they're still "not ready" for women to be allowed to drive.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabia-is-not-ready-for-women-drivers-says-deputy-crown-prince-mohammed-bin-salman-a7004611.html

If we want to be able to refer to something like oppression of an entire
gender as similar to slavery, we can't also refer to intellectual property
law as slavery. At best, it confuses the conversation. The wider the
acceptance of a particular compromise the higher the bar for hyperbole.