[Discuss] New Product Developments, Updates, & Upcoming Events!

The OpenBCI Team contact at openbci.com
Fri Sep 16 19:46:44 UTC 2016

OpenBCI Newsletter
View this email in your browser (http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=87a4438af8&e=71c628170b)

**
Hello OpenBCI Community!

We hope you’ve been enjoying the warm Summer weather! As the season comes to an end, we want to update you on the latest news concerning OpenBCI. We have been working all Summer in some cool projects we wish to share with you! In addition, we made great developments in the design of both the Ganglion and the Mark IV. Due to the many things that came our way this Summer we have to delay the release date of the Ganglion and the Mark IV until November. You can read more about this below.
Back to School Pre-Order Sale

Between now and next Friday (9/23) at midnight, we are offering a special back to school discount of 10% off of all of our pre-order items:
* The Ganglion Board (http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=bb7bd506f5&e=71c628170b)
* The Ultracortex Mark IV (any version) (http://openbci.us7.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=f33b886789&e=71c628170b)

Use the following discount code at checkout:  BACK2SKOOL
10% Pre-Order Discount — BACK2SKOOL (http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=dbd297c2e3&e=71c628170b)
General Survey Link

We hope that your experience with OpenBCI has been awesome! We are constantly trying to improve the OpenBCI platform. For this reason, we ask that you give us 5 minutes of your time, and complete our latest survey.
OpenBCI Survey (http://openbci.us7.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=a111c62325&e=71c628170b)

Your feedback is extremely valuable for us! Your answers will be anonymous and we will post the answers to selected questions in our next newsletter.

Ganglion Update

Updated Delivery Date: November 2016

The shipping date of the Ganglion Board has been moved from August to November. We know that you have been eagerly awaiting for the Ganglion and we are doing everything we can to ensure that we deliver a product we are proud of.

The reason we moved the release date is because we ran into some issues with the Bluetooth radio protocol. We had to reduce the Ganglion sample rate to 200Hz in order to ensure consistent transmission and data integrity. The hardware design is 99% complete and we are working with our manufacturing house to get production prototypes produced as soon as possible.

If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at contact at openbci.com (mailto:contact at openbci.com) .
http://openbci.us7.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=1625e7d288&e=71c628170b
Mark IV Update
Updated Release Date: November 2016

The Mark IV is coming along nicely! We now have the first fully-functional Mark IV prototype. We’ve tested it and the data looks great. The assembly process is significantly easier than that of the Mark III. In addition, the new injection molded mechanical parts look and feel fantastic! We are now finalizing the OpenBCI board holder design. Production of the frames has already been initiated and we expect to begin assembly and kitting headsets in October. See the images below for photos of the injection molded parts and the first fully-assemble Mark IV.
Thank you for your patience. We think you will be very pleased with the quality of our latest hardware!
GUI V2 progress

We have implemented a number of new network protocols for streaming OpenBCI data in real-time to other software and applications, including: LabStreamingLayer (LSL), UDP, and OSC. Additionally, we have implemented an “auto-connect” feature that will search through your Serial/COM list, finding your OpenBCI board and connecting to it automatically. On top of that, you now have the ability to change the radio channel of your board and dongle via the OpenBCI GUI. No more channel collisions at hackathons or meetups!

We are currently working on allowing for Biosemi Data Format (BDF) (http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=3ebce47237&e=71c628170b) to be exported from the OpenBCI GUI, as well as a fresh GUI layout to allow for new widgets to be easily added to the GUI over time. Existing widgets include the data montage, the head plot, the FFT plot, an accelerometer vizualizer, an EMG trigger and output widget, and a blank “playground” widget—to be used as a template. More to come!
Freethink OpenBCI Episode

We are delighted to share the latest ‪SuperHuman‬ episode by Freethink (http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=cec908a534&e=71c628170b) , featuring OpenBCI!
"Open Sourcing the Brain" (http://openbci.us7.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=76daaac2ab&e=71c628170b) .
http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=64b1456b4f&e=71c628170b
IEEE Brain Hackathons

We are excited to announce that IEEE Brain is sponsoring three BCI hackathons (http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=59b918c977&e=71c628170b) in San Diego, Philadelphia, and Budapest. We have loaned tech OpenBCI tech for all three events. The first hackathon took place last weekend in San Diego! Conor will be joining the Budapest hackathon in early October. If you’re able to attend, we highly recommend you join in the fun!

For information on other upcoming BCI-related conferences and meetups, check out the latest NeuroTechNews “Upcoming Events in NeuroTechnology” writeup (http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=44ff34dd51&e=71c628170b) .
Summer Internship Recap
Our Summer internship program ended with great success! A lot of cool ideas and projects came out of the program. We are really proud of our interns for all the hard work and awesomeness they put into their projects. Below are some highlights.

** OpenBCI + Open Bionics
We collaborated with Open Bionics (http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=bd9e88a0fb&e=71c628170b) to use EEG artifacts to control the movement of a 3D printed robotic hand. In addition we used the recorded muscle activity from one of our interns to mimic the movement of the hand. A shout out to Colin for spearheading this awesome project. You can read more about it her (http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=08e7c44062&e=71c628170b) e (http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=acb5df7c30&e=71c628170b) .

** EMG Face Mask
EMG Face Mask for Emotion Recognition: Our brilliant intern, Niyathi, along with the folks at Three Form Fashion (http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=87d11a2dda&e=71c628170b) , worked on designing a functional EMG face mask. What started as a simple way to recognize emotions using OpenBCI, translated into the development of a innovative way to detect the muscle activity of one’s face. This mask can have multiple applications like recognizing and localizing muscle movements/patterns/spasms for medical uses and other cool things.

** Motor Area Experiments
One of the goals of BCI is to improve the autonomy of people with severe motor disabilities. To achieve this we need to understand what goes on in the brain in order to initiate a movement in a healthy person. Irene, our talented intern, developed different training sessions for motor imagery, motor imagery versus motor execution (http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=0af32cc75c&e=71c628170b) , and finger tapping (http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=6b83d89bcb&e=71c628170b) experiments to try to understand what electrical activity is generated in the brain when a person moves.

** OpenBCI + Flappy Bird
Did you ever wished to play Flappy Bird literally flapping your hands like a bird? Well ... your wish has now come true! Thanks to a project lead by our intern, Wangshu, you can now use EMG to detect the contraction of your biceps and control the Flappy Bird game! This is just one example of a cool project implementing OpenBCI for something other than brain waves!

** Mind Controlled Minions

Minions are impulsive creatures with little self-control. No wonder it was easy for us to hack our way into the Minion's mind. All we needed was our OpenBCI Ultacortex headset, an Arduino board, and a few lines of code.

** OpenBCI Lab Streaming Layer (LSL) – From Python to Matlab

For everyone that uses MATLAB, Gabe made it possible for you to stream your data (http://openbci.us7.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=cc498fffba&e=71c628170b) directly into MATLAB, without you having to use Processing beforehand.

** OpenBCI Motorcycle Helmet to Control Your Music

Who doesn’t want to listen to music while on the road? However, it is extremely dangerous to look at your phone while driving a motorcycle. Colin, was able to customize a motorcycle helme (http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=8b9546c202&e=71c628170b) t (http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=f00de3a4a2&e=71c628170b) with electrodes and a Raspberry Pi board, so that he could play, stop, and skip songs using his brain waves.

Web Developer Wanted
OpenBCI is looking for an experienced Web Developer (http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=bec02dadb4&e=71c628170b) to help with the maintenance and design of the OpenBCI website. If you have a keen eye for design and a passion for clean, orderly code, then this is the position for you. All applicants must apply with a link to their Github account or relevant code examples to be considered for the position. This is a part-time, paid by the hour position. If you are interested please email us at jobs at openbci.com (mailto:jobs at openbci.com) .

Thank You!

>From everyone at OpenBCI, we want to say thank you. Your support is making the open source neurorevolution possible. We look forward to getting the latest OpenBCI technology into your hands. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out: contact at openbci.com (mailto:contact at openbci.com) .
All the best,

The OpenBCI Team
http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=32f1a81afa&e=71c628170b Share (http://openbci.us7.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=9a6e2bb70d&e=71c628170b)
http://openbci.us7.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=1c53a172f5&e=71c628170b http%3A%2F%2Feepurl.com%2Fcf-cGH Tweet (http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=4f31574162&e=71c628170b http%3A%2F%2Feepurl.com%2Fcf-cGH)
http://us7.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=87a4438af8&e=71c628170b Forward (http://us7.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=87a4438af8&e=71c628170b)
http://openbci.us7.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=c98caf8a01&e=71c628170b Share (http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=cd8fffc0c3&e=71c628170b)
Help Spread The Word!
http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=01083b8830&e=71c628170b
http://openbci.us7.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=e53aa9efb1&e=71c628170b
http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=99daea66a8&e=71c628170b
http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=1bb627382f&e=71c628170b
http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=b6796834c8&e=71c628170b
http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=1215ea33e7&e=71c628170b
http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=ca792a4dea&e=71c628170b
http://openbci.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=0d3d6bedeb&e=71c628170b
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up-to-date with all of our ongoing progress!

Copyright © 2016 OpenBCI, All rights reserved.
 Thank you for joining the OpenBCI Community!

Our mailing address is:
OpenBCI
630 Flushing Avenue, Brooklyn, NY
New York, NY 11206
USA
You can ** update your preferences (http://openbci.us7.list-manage1.com/profile?u=b37d3a1190672c5feee20ca73&id=4800cb26e6&e=71c628170b)
Copyright © | 2015 | OpenBCI |, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
contact at openbci.com