[Discuss] wikifab license

Wouter Tebbens wouter at freeknowledge.eu
Tue Sep 6 09:51:17 UTC 2016

Hi Clement,

interesting project, I will add it to our list of repositories, [1]

Reading your license page, [2], I have some more comments.

You distinguish there between a "License on the instructions" and a
"License on the objects". That seems strange, at least for cases of
digital fabrication. Let me explain:

Legal scholars (see: Margoni, [3]) argue that copyright can most of the
times be asserted over at least parts of the design documentation,
including the CAD files.

Then for the production of the physical object based on that design,
this is seen as a reproduction, when there is a high degree of identity.

This can be compared to 2D printing of 2D files: they are also treated
as reproduction. As long as the license permits reproduction, the 3D
printing would be permitted.

This is to say that one license for the design documentation should be
sufficient to also cover the resulting objects.

When however a resulting object is merely inspired by some
documentation, whatever copyright license it has, it shouldn't be able
to control that. This will fall out of the scope of probably any
license, unless you want to involve patents.

That said, right now I can't imagine how you consider the "License on
objects" to be different from the instructions/documentation license. I
do see the need for a free software license, as you do differentiate for
as well.

Also you mention the "GNU Free Hardware Designs License": is there such
license really? Please let me know. I had the understanding that the GNU
FDL would be one possible license to make hardware designs free hardware
designs or open source hardware.

[1] http://wiki.freeknowledge.eu/index.php/Design_Sharing_Platforms
[2]
http://feedback.wikifab.org/t/under-which-open-license-can-i-publish-my-tutorial-on-wikifab/30
[3] Thomas Margoni, 2013, Not for Designers: On the Inadequacies of EU
Design Law and How to Fix It.
http://www.ivir.nl/publicaties/download/JIPITEC_2013_3.pdf

best,

Wouter