[Discuss] Open Source Ecological Housing

Catarina Mota catarina at openmaterials.org
Wed Jun 29 20:01:13 UTC 2016

Andrew: wow, I love your project! And now I really, really want a floating
hackerspace! We're super sleep-deprived at the moment, but perhaps we could
chat off-list next week about some possible avenues for collaboration?

Emilio: nice, I look forward to hearing more about it.

Matt: thank so much for your detailed feedback - it's really useful. I'll
go through it in the detail to see what changes we could implement at this
point. In the mean time, a couple clarifications:

- The order of the text was suggested by the kickstarter reviewer team. We
assumed they know more about this than we do - but perhaps what is usually
right is not necessarily right for us... I'll investigate further.

- The cost issue is a bit more complicated. You're absolutely right in what
you said. The bigger issue is that there is a lack of "starter homes" in
the market at the moment. The choices seem to be between the McMansion and
the Tiny Home - either get in serious debt or go with a small home.
Personally, I'm in-between those two options: I don't have $360k, but I
also don't want to live in a tiny home forever (I lived in mini
houses/apartments for 15 years). I want something small and affordable to
start with - but that can be expanded. Most tiny homes are not designed for
that.

A couple interesting links about this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/housing-supply-crisis-is-looming-2016-3

https://www.ted.com/talks/alejandro_aravena_my_architectural_philosophy_bring_the_community_into_the_process?language=en