[Discuss] Update on the OSHW Certification mark

Jeffrey Warren jeff at publiclab.org
Mon Jun 13 20:56:57 UTC 2016

Hi, all -- the font is Deja Vu Sans Mono, which as a monospaced typeface,
accounts for the kerning -- each letter occupies the same horizontal space.

The font is available under a free license:
http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/Main_Page

We tried a number of variations with partially coloring or separating the
right-hand side of the W, but nothing looked quite right, and I think the
final version works quite well. The box around the text helps to highlight
it in what may be a crowded circuit board, and also accentuates the check
mark theme. I don't think we need to be extremely explicit about the check
mark, either -- people will either get the reference and enjoy it or they
won't see it, but the important thing is that the mark is recognizable,
readable, and unique. I guess by comparison, not everyone sees the arrow in
the FedEx logo, but that's OK.

Thanks a lot, folks! As to the vector files etc, we're going to post a page
with relevant design files, attributions, and may ask for help in getting
the design into a lot of different design file formats for easy use. I'm
also going to try to work up a style guide for color, spacing, and usage
guidelines and would love your feedback there too.

Best,
Jeff