[Discuss] A new journal, The Journal of Open Engineering

Matt Maier blueback09 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 10:59:44 UTC 2016

I think it's a great idea. The written description(s) of it feel like 2nd
drafts. They don't make much sense to me on first scan and I'm relying more
on my preexisting background in open source hardware to figure out what you
mean than on knowledge a generic reader would bring. Maybe you're
intentionally targeting a specific audience like people who already know
how to publish in journals? If you want to broaden it to any rando with an
interesting project I'd be happy to contribute ideas to the copy. I haven't
been part of designing it, so I have a fresh perspective. Here are a couple
thoughts along those lines.

The description on the site is vague and abstract. The impression I get is
that you're trying to leave the scope as broad as possible. If that's the
case I feel like it would be better to just state that simply as "any part
of the engineering process" the author is "willing to write up under a
permissive license."

The approach you're taking also sounds a lot like the "user submitted" and
"front page" mechanism that other sites on the web use (like Imgur and
Wikipedia). Just that on this site the way you get from user-sub to the
front page is peer/editor review instead of upvotes.

It wouldn't hurt to start with a description of the problem you're solving.
What are people already using, or trying to use, and why is it not working?
Explain the pain. Something like "blogs are scattered" and "mailing lists
are hidden" and "github is ad hoc" so TJOE will be "consolidated,
discoverable, and curated." Then go on to explain why someone should take
the time to invest in this new site. Maybe "we're building a community of
open engineering reviewers/editors" and "the collaborative environment
means you can share the work to get a superior paper." Something like that.
People aren't really going to care about what technology stack you chose to
build on until they are interested in participating.

A classic milestone for open source projects is to use their own tool
themselves. So maybe the first paper in TJOE could be a description of who,
what, when, where, why, and how to use TJOE itself. The publication and
review stuff is part of the process after all.