[Discuss] EOMA68 Libre Hardware Standard and Libre Software project, currently crowd-funding (deadline expires 26th aug 2016)

lkcl . luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 16:15:13 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 5:06 PM, Chris Church
<thisdroneeatspeople at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Matt Maier <blueback09 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Maybe it's just that the meme is accurate for the market I'm in and have
>> to deal with most directly?
>>
>> https://www.unpri.org/page/new-report-aims-to-end-debate-about-esg-and-fiduciary-duty
>> "Fiduciary duty has long been a contentious issue, especially in the US.
>> Asset managers and advisers have often cited fiduciary duty as a reason for
>> not incorporating [environmental, social, and governance] factors into the
>> investment decision-making process, claiming that looking at non-financial
>> indicators was not consistent with their fiduciary duty."
>>

> I think that article clearly calls out that the report mentioned finds no
> direct contradiction.  The statement "I think a fundamental flaw in our
> current system is that the people in charge of corporations are only allowed
> to consider profit in their decisions. They literally, legally, due to their
> fiduciary responsibility, cannot base their decisions on anything other than
> maximizing the dollar value of the corporation." Is not literally, legally,
> the only thing they are allowed to consider in the US. Just because some
> people *believe* that, doesn't make it true, and case law generally follows.

 again: i'm not sure if the messages are getting through to the list
or not, or if there's a delay here, but i come back to professor
yunus's book: if you've not read his book "Creating a World WIthout
Poverty" we will be repeating these misunderstandings and have to then
repeat sections of the book (near verbatim) to counter them.

 *please* read his book, ok?  the misunderstandings that you're
stating, chris, are answered in full (and many many more), logically
and step-by-step throughout his book.  i re-read it again yesterday
just to make sure, having read it for the first time eight years ago.

l.