[Discuss] EOMA68 Libre Hardware Standard and Libre Software project, currently crowd-funding (deadline expires 26th aug 2016)

Matt Maier blueback09 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 06:28:51 UTC 2016

I feel you. I'm grappling with how to incorporate my own startup
specifically because I think a fundamental flaw in our current system is
that the people in charge of corporations are only allowed to consider
profit in their decisions. They literally, legally, due to their fiduciary
responsibility, cannot base their decisions on anything other than
maximizing the dollar value of the corporation.

That's messed up and it's messing everything else up.

However, that's not the same topic as libre/open. They're related, but
distinct. Libre/open is concerned with the legal status of intellectual
property. Corporate law is concerned with the legal status of incorporated
entities. Even if they both have an ethical angle, the ethical questions
are still different. It's important to distinguish between them because the
solutions can't just feel good, they have to actually work in the real
world.

That's why the libre camp can get frustrated with the open camp; because
open is more accepting of compromise to enable growth. It's extremely rare
for an uncompromising ethic to get wide traction in the real world.

Personally, I consider growth, for the most part, to be ethically more
important than purity. It's based on the assumption that we need to
maintain our current abundance and attempt to increase it. If we slide
backwards into deprivation then everybody will be forced to make bad
decisions just to stay alive. If we can keep growing we'll have extra that
can be devoted to uncompromisingly good decisions. A quote I picked up from
a blog somewhere is, "Parents will slaughter every last panda in the zoo if
their children are starving."

I figure it's more important to ensure that everybody has as much as
possible than to ensure nobody ever gets the bad end of a deal. Thus, my
focus on open, rather than libre.