[Discuss] EOMA68 Libre Hardware Standard and Libre Software project, currently crowd-funding (deadline expires 26th aug 2016)

Matt Maier blueback09 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 17:13:57 UTC 2016

Yes, but, that seems like a different issue to me. What you're describing
is just normal, run-of-the-mill lying.

Basically, the problem you're describing is that a company offers X with
features A, B, and C, while keeping feature D a secret because they know
that disclosing feature D would cause people not to buy X.

That problem is why food has nutrition labels on it.

That's not directly related to the libre/open paradigm. Whether or not a
company makes the recipe for their food public is different from whether or
not they lie about that food's effect on the body.

Choosing to lie to your customers is already a standard question in
business ethics because people have been grappling with it ever since
business was invented. Libre/open only appeared recently when "copyleft"
was coined.