[Discuss] EOMA68 Libre Hardware Standard and Libre Software project, currently crowd-funding (deadline expires 26th aug 2016)

lkcl . luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 16:58:44 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Mario Gómez <mxgxw.alpha at gmail.com> wrote:

>> i'm genuinely curious to know why people are avoiding the use of the
> word "Libre".
>
> Hi! A native spanish speaker here.

 hallo :)

> In the world of the hardware development in most parts of the world you
> don't have exclusive explotation rights for a device or "invention". You can
> make an exact copy of a machine and no-one can prevent you to sell it,
> modify it or change the way it works.

 ah: i have to correct you, here: this is what "Design Rights" is
there to prevent.  "Design Rights" is a form of Trademark / Copyright
on a "creative design".  you *can't* make an exact copy, they *can*
prevent you from selling it... they can't however stop you modifying
it and they can't stop you from changing the way it works, so you're
partly right.

 the reason i know about this is because i have a friend who
registered "Design Right" on a type of steel gas-ring-to-barbecue
adapter, it was incredibly popular, but had to fit specifically onto
two side-by-side gas rings (butane / propane camping stoves for
example).  basically there's not a lot of ways you can do that (not
safely, anyway) so a "Design Right" made a lot of sense.

> In other words... The "libertad" (freedom) that you are seeking for the Open
> Source Hardware is already there and protected by many legislations around
> the world so for me the world "libre" just generates confusion and
> unnecesary flamewars.

 it's important to understand that "open" is about "compromising on
ethics".  people in the "open" camp *really* don't like being reminded
of that!  i had to stand behind someone at HopeConf2016 who accused Dr
Stallman of being a total hypocrite, just so that he could "blame
someone" and thus "excuse himself" from *every* single one of the
ethical business-related parts of Dr Stallman's talk.  the guy was so
violent in his words - bear in mind i'm standing 4ft away from him -
that i actually became concerned for my safety.  then a woman two
behind me did the same thing!  ranted like a total lunatic and stormed
out!  never seen anything like it.  i mean, did these people *really*
just listen to the entire talk for 1hr 45 minutes and *then* get up,
rant and rave and then storm out?? totally surreal to witness.

 people really *really* don't like to be told that they're being spied
on through social media (google Tim Cook "we did it to ourselves"),
that their "Fairphone" or other smartphone contains a backdoor OTA
arbitrary execution path and uses DRM to lock down the OS.  they're
*happy* to remain ignorant and they'd rather "shoot the messenger"
than wake up or have to make a choice on their comfortable way of
life... because there *aren't* any real alternatives.

 libre *does not* generate confusion: it's very clear: it's about
choosing ethical business practices over completely immoral financial
exploitation practices that are so long-established and entrenched
that people *genuinely think it's normal*!  and yeah, that's really
uncomfortable for some people to face up to, to the point where
they'll attack without provocation.

now, far from getting all hot under the collar, the really important
thing to recognise here is this: despite the unfortunate choice of
name (which _does_ result in confusion and lack of clarity), you *are*
making a difference.  you *are* working towards giving people more
options.  it's the lack of choice that pisses people off when they
hear people talk about "libre", because there ISN'T ANY LIBRE HARDWARE
FOR THEM TO BUY.

 so please don't ever stop what you're doing.  you're working towards
giving people back freedom over their own hardware, you've taken
responsibility for doing that, where so few people are, and that's
just amazing.

l.