[Discuss] EOMA68 Libre Hardware Standard and Libre Software project, currently crowd-funding (deadline expires 26th aug 2016)

Mario Gómez mxgxw.alpha at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 16:24:51 UTC 2016

And that would be really great!

However, in my opinion, in this thread we are trying to extrapolate the
"limitations" of the copyright world to the hardware world like if they
were the same thing and were governed by the same legislation. But they are
not, and "libre" in the software context may not mean the same or have the
same implications for the hardware development.

I would really love to see that most of the hardware is 100% free of any
patents and documented at the lowest manufacturing level (this is actually
possible for an artistic low-tech handcrafted device, but is really hard to
achieve for something more complex or if it uses even a simple
semiconductor).

In this thread I got the impression that many people is just taking the
literal meaning of "libre" from the software development world and is
trying to put it in the hardware development world without realize that in
the copyright world everything is propietary unless the contrary is
specified and *you don't have the freedom to make changes to it by default*.
That freedom is the one that Stallman fought for with his copyleft licenses.

In hardware you already have the freedom of making changes to the hardware
that you own. What you do not have, especially in the latests years, is the
sources, the know how or something as simple as the BOM. So what you are
missing is the "Source/Desing files of the Hardware" not the "freedom to
make changes", and that the reason why I prefeer to use "Open Source
Hardware" instead "Free/Libre Hardware".

Regards,
Mario.