[Discuss] EOMA68 Libre Hardware Standard and Libre Software project, currently crowd-funding (deadline expires 26th aug 2016)

Roy Nielsen amrset at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 21:16:08 UTC 2016

Hello,

I see 'open' to be more of an issue of adoption - companies may feel more
comfortable adopting designs that have a more BSD/MIT software license.
More adoption, because the license allows for more flexible use.  This
allows companies to protect their intellectual property. (Intellectual
property = money in the eyes of business)

I see GNU software 'free' as in the design stays free, even when modified.
Because of the strict nature of the license, companies are wary of entering
in to an agreement where they might have to give away their secret sauce -
or even patented intellectual property.

Patents are worth money.  Rendering a patent useless for the sake of 'free'
is like a company throwing away a suitcase full of money, without
attempting to protect it.  I could see why bean counters and lawyers would
dislike 'free' over 'open'.

Regards,
-Roy