[Discuss] EOMA68 Libre Hardware Standard and Libre Software project, currently crowd-funding (deadline expires 26th aug 2016)

lkcl . luke.leighton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 17:07:33 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Antoine C.
<smallwindturbineproj.contactor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 20/08/2016 00:08, lkcl . a écrit :
>> so did not have time to find
>> the OSHWA until someone very recently mentioned it
> Hi l.,
> just to know,
> and if you mind
> (feel free to not answer if you feel the following too boring),
> may I ask you the two following additional questions,
> which are, I'm afraid,
> not technical about you great achievement (by the way: Bravo !):
> 1) have you already heard of, got information about, the OHANDA project
> [1][2] ?

 now i have

> 2) from your point of view, why the existence of OSHWA (and OHANDA)
> projects took so long time to come to you ?

 because i've been focussing on getting the job done, as opposed to
either (a) finding people to *collaborate* on getting the job done or
(b) advertising *that* i am focussed on getting the job done.

 hardware design and component sourcing is so intense that i can't
focus on both.  it's only from this crowdfunding campaign - where i've
stopped all work on the hardware designs and focussed exclusively 100%
on communications - that i've found (or had the opportunity to find)
tons of like-minded and interested people.

> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Hardware_and_Design_Alliance

 aaargh, they took the four freedoms - even *say* it's "based on free
software" - and then lost the golden opportunity to *call* it "Libre
Hardware and Design Alliance".  if it qualifies as "Libre" they should
*use* the word "Libre".  there's nothing in that definition 0 which
permits hardware-level DRM locking, so there's no "lobster-trap" gate
as there is when people use the word "open"....

 i'm genuinely curious to know why people are avoiding the use of the
word "Libre".

l.