[Discuss] EOMA68 Libre Hardware Standard and Libre Software project, currently crowd-funding (deadline expires 26th aug 2016)

lkcl . luke.leighton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 22:22:13 UTC 2016

hiya paul (et al) having opened up the debate i've realised i'm going
to have to leave it to you all to discuss further, some specific
answers below

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 8:25 PM, Paul Bristow <paul at panglosslabs.org> wrote:
> But wait a minute.  I was involved in the OSWHA process and that is simply not the issue being addressed.  Saying that something is certified as Open Source Hardware has *nothing whatsoever* to do with any of the other certifications you may have to legally comply with when you sell a product.  In the EU, you have to CE mark a product you want to sell, which means a product complies to all applicable legislation.  Similar in the US and other jurisdictions.  The company selling the product is liable for it - particularly for any safety problems.  Self-certifying that a product complies with a certification process cannot possibly have the consequences you claim.

 ... are you absolutely sure?  i can think of a very simple scenario
which does not require CE marks: home-produced equipment where either
the instructions are place online (makezine, instructables) or the
actual "results" sold online and people are invited to place the
"OSHWA" logo on it after they've built one, or the person working out
of their home selling home-grown "kits" places the OSHWA label on it.

 that bypasses all of the CE mark and other safety requirements in a
*distributed* way that makes it impossible to go after "a Corporation"
as you might expect to be able to do.

 i could probably think up some other likely and plausible scenarios
given enough time, but just the one is enough.

 > In short, the OSHWA tries to solve one problem.  It does not
attempt to solve the issue of product safety which has its own
legislation for different types of products.

 .... but does it specifically state, "you shall take full legal
responsibility for Safety Certifications and shall NOT be permitted to
add an OSHWA logo if you have not sought such Certificates and carried
out such testing as required" and other such additions that cover the
nightmare scenarios?

> Collaboratively, because I really like your project,

 thx :)