[Discuss] EOMA68 Libre Hardware Standard and Libre Software project, currently crowd-funding (deadline expires 26th aug 2016)

Marcin Jakubowski marcin at opensourceecology.org
Mon Aug 22 17:33:21 UTC 2016

Luke,

Can you explain the Libre movement's position on why 'open source hardware'
is considered a subversion of free/libre principles? I got an email from
Dr. Stallman at one point stating that 'open source hardware' is an
impossibility, as hardware cannot have source code. In my view, the 'source
code for hardware' is the blueprints and all enabling information,
including computer code for hardware that uses software. I don't think it's
the intent of some open source people like myself to 'subvert' libre
principles.

Marcin

--
*Full Disclosure Agreement:* OSE works openly. All conversations in this
email are intended to be transparent and subject to sharing, with due

See Global Village Construction Set TED Talk
<http://www.ted.com/talks/marcin_jakubowski>. Sign up for our Design Sprints
<http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/OSE_Design_Sprint>. Subscribe as a True
Fan <http://opensourceecology.org/community/#truefans>. See Tsu
<https://www.tsu.co/OpenSourceEcology> or Facebook