[Discuss] EOMA68 Libre Hardware Standard and Libre Software project, currently crowd-funding (deadline expires 26th aug 2016)

Matt Maier blueback09 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 08:27:31 UTC 2016

I just ran across this computer a little while ago and now you pop up on
the mailing list, neat.

Your explanation of use cases for Marcin is important. It's the biggest
part that's missing from the information I've seen about the project. The
"but what can I do with it" question needs to be front and center, or at
least co-equal with the libre and environmental factors.

It might be worth comparing it to other examples of computers that people
are familiar with. For example, a table with the EOMA68, a Raspberry Pi, a
Chromebook, a Microsoft Surface, and a Macbook (maybe add some phones and
servers too?), would go a long way towards putting it into context. And it
wouldn't necessarily suffer for performing at the lower end of the scale if
you went on to explain that after a few generations of improvement you
could swap out another card and instantly upgrade to higher performance,
equivalent to somewhere else in the chart.

That would also help get non-comp-sci types interested in it. If designers
understand that they can design any enclosure they want, independent of the
actual function, they'll get excited about it.