[Discuss] $9 OSHW computer announced

Drew Fustini pdp7pdp7 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 19:58:51 UTC 2015

I thought this would be of interest.  inexpensive, open source and
powerful enough for several use cases.  i backed it yesterday, and
hope that Next Thing Co. can execute on time and on budget:

Next Thing Co. Releases “World’s First” $9 Computer
http://makezine.com/2015/05/07/next-thing-co-releases-worlds-first-9-computer/

"The board is Open Hardware, runs a flavor of Debian Linux, and boasts
a 1Ghz R8 ARM processor, 512MB of RAM, and 4GB of eMMC storage. It is
more powerful than a Raspberry Pi B+ and equal to the BeagleBone Black
in clock speed, RAM, and storage. Differentiating Chip from Beagle is
its built-in WiFi, Bluetooth, and the ease in which it can be made
portable, thanks to circuitry that handles battery operation."

For the Kickstarter page:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598272670/chip-the-worlds-first-9-computer

"We built C.H.I.P. to make tiny powerful computers more accessible and
easier to use. A huge part of making C.H.I.P. accessible is making
sure that it can change to meet the needs of the community. That's why
both C.H.I.P. and PocketC.H.I.P. are both TOTALLY OPEN SOURCE. This
means all hardware design files schematic, PCB layout and bill of
materials are free for you the community to download, modify and use."

cheers,
drew