[Discuss] Careers in OS Hardware Communities

Emily Dixon egd.box at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 22:52:54 UTC 2015

Good Evening!

I am a graduating senior studying engineering at Smith College in
Northampton. I am curious about the availability of job opportunities and
careers within existing open source hardware projects. Are there any
projects growing rapidly enough to need support staff? I spent last summer
at Open Source Ecology, am currently working with a team on FarmHack, and
am looking forward to continuing to grow my experience and network within
the OS hardware world.

I initially sent this question to Alicia who pointed me towards Making
Society
<http://makingsociety.com/2013/03/the-worlwide-list-of-open-source-hardware-online-stores/>
which
is a useful resource especially for creating a new hardware start-up. I
think it would be useful to organize a similar hub for job, volunteer, and
internship opportunities in this field and am looking forward to learning
about these resources. Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you all -

Emily