[Discuss] Economics Re: Free Hardware

Nancy Ouyang nancy.ouyang at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 02:12:29 UTC 2015

On this topic, thought you all might like these

(very well-put together! not dry at all)
http://www.npr.org/podcasts/510298/ted-radio-hour

> MARCH 20, 2015
> What Is Original? (R)
> Even the most original ideas are essentially remixes. When is copying
> flattery, when is it thievery, and when is it sheer genius? In this hour,
> TED speakers explore how sampling, borrowing, and riffing make all of us
> innovators. Sampling music isn't about "hijacking nostalgia wholesale,"
> says DJ Mark Ronson. It's about inserting yourself into the narrative of a
> song while also pushing that story forward. Filmmaker Kirby Ferguson says
> nothing is original and that our most celebrated creators steal ideas — and
> transform them into something new. Clothing designs aren't protected by
> copyright --and the industry benefits by being more innovative, says
> Johanna Blakley. People often credit their ideas to individual "Eureka!"
> moments. But writer Steven Johnson shows how history tells a different
> story.

(a bit dry, but more technical)
http://techtv.mit.edu/genres/19-engineering/videos/31109-how-to-open-source-the-creative-process-democratizing-innovation-product-design-and-development-and-t

The creative process is a combination of engineering and design decisions,
> experimentation, iteration, integration, informed decisions, and luck—all
> of which hopefully culminate in a marketable artifact. The creator, with
> all the tools and knowledge available to him or her, is often presumed to
> know best. But, that's not always the case. In this webinar, SDM alumnus
> Ali Almossawi will discuss the benefits of expanding the creative process
> through open-sourcing on the Internet, where there are more creators, fewer
> industry gatekeepers, and endless opportunities to engage directly with
> users. He will: describe a model for open-sourcing the creative process and
> how it can be used to build a self-sustaining product or business; outline
> the key players—often a combination of professionals with expertise in
> technology, business, and/or design; discuss what is needed for team
> members to work together effectively—and the pitfalls to avoid; provide
> examples of failure, success, and failure leading to success; and offer
> next steps that can be adapted and applied across all industries.

Thanks,
--Nancy

~~~
narwhaledu.com, educational robots <http://gfycat.com/ExcitableLeanAkitainu>
 [[<(._.)>]] my personal blog <http://www.orangenarwhals.com>,
orangenarwhals
Researcher, Postmodern Robotics Group, MIT Electronics Research Society