[Discuss] unconference: open-source computer-aided-hardware-design (CAD) tools (OSCAHDcon?)

Nancy Ouyang nancy.ouyang at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 03:28:38 UTC 2015

Hi all --
I'm going around one-by-one instead to collate notes from people's
experiences and thoughts. I'll reach out to all the people who've expressed
interest on this list individually sometime soon.

I don't think it'd be efficient to update everyone continuously on the
progress so far, but I do want to maintain some transparency, so I'll just
leave a link to our work-in-progress document with a disclaimer that it's
not cleaned up for readability at all.

http://etherpad.mit.edu/p/CADet (focused on solid models, not circuit CAD).

I'll also see if I can collate my user interviews underlying that draft
specification so far into some master document some day soon.

The unconference will happen some day in the future -- for now, the plan is
to keep bouncing ideas and listening to people, then find a few people, sit
together in a room for a weekend, write a cool demo of our concept, use
said concept to align all the disparate work on open-source CAD into an
inter-compatible ecosystem, and then go from there.

Thanks,
--Nancy

~~~
narwhaledu.com, educational robots <http://gfycat.com/ExcitableLeanAkitainu>
 [[<(._.)>]] my personal blog <http://www.orangenarwhals.com>,
orangenarwhals
arvados.org (open source software for provenance, reproducing, and scaling
your analyses)