[Discuss] unconference: open-source computer-aided-hardware-design (CAD) tools (OSCAHDcon?)

Nancy Ouyang nancy.ouyang at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 06:58:25 UTC 2015

re: pierce, ok/yay -- it'll probably be a weekend, so instead we'll "shake
you down" for your thoughts before convening and report back, hopefully you
can attend the next meetup remotely somehow.

re: alex: that's point 2, idk, depends on the shape of the conference, if
it's presentation-style we can get someone to record video, livestream it,
if it's design-focused, maybe we can all collaborate on google docs, a
single laptop set up on the table for remote collaborators to shout ideas /
ask questions / feel like they are part of the conference

re: abram: awesome! maybe both presentation & design-spec should happen, i
hadn't thought about presentations from people, thanks for the idea.
specifically, i*f you want to help spec out what should happen before,
during, and by the end of the conference, *that would be great.

BEFORE: notify ppl in community, like everyone involved in
http://reprap.org/wiki/Useful_Software_Packages &
http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/CAD_tools, identify key missing areas of
expertise

(invite designers from RISD? UI & modelling engine researchers at CSAIL?
Design tool researchers at Media Lab? people who have connections to Google
and can get a GSoC
<https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2015> focused on
Hardware to happen or money to otherwise appear? product designers who can
find early-adopter end-users and get them hyped and excited and lining up
to provide detailed feedback? technical writers who can herd everyone into
articulating clear visions to agree on?)

DURING: people present, then split into design spec or issue-oriented groups

BY THE END: ?? what is vision we can all share ?? OSCAHD tools are en-route
to becoming *better* than current industry standards, widely adopted,
stable releases, highly usable, actively developed, have paid developers or
monetary support from several (>2) large and stable commercial companies,
within 5 years??

ugh this sounds like a hackathon. maybe time to cash in and call it a
hackathon and get a local company like Bolt to sponsor food and swag for
us... -.-

~~~
narwhaledu.com, educational robots <http://gfycat.com/ExcitableLeanAkitainu>
 [[<(._.)>]] my personal blog <http://www.orangenarwhals.com>,
orangenarwhals
arvados.org (open source software for provenance, reproducing, and scaling
your analyses)