[Discuss] Free Hardware

Matt Maier blueback09 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 20:18:52 UTC 2015

It's also confusing that in an argument based on pure morality, the
conclusion is somehow that because something is too hard it is not a moral
imperative. I never understood that part of Stallman's argument.

He always said that hardware wasn't relevant to Free Software. It looks
like he's changing his mind because proprietary hardware might make it
impossible to run Free Software.

I've never heard a good argument for why a thing MUST be libre. Taking it
to that extreme seems like it just discourages creation. It means that the
creator has to give up control of their creation or they're inescapably
immoral merely because they didn't give up control. I don't think there's
much of a precedent in philosophy for the idea that it's inherently wrong
to control the thing you created. If you add something to the world the
only reason anybody can have a discussion about whether or not you should
give it away is because you made it in the first place. Seems like creation
is a prerequisite to sharing.

Of course, I strongly encourage sharing :)