[Discuss] Free Hardware

Drew Fustini pdp7pdp7 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 19:57:01 UTC 2015

hmm, just saw this on Slashdot:
"Why We Need Free Digital Hardware Designs"
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/15/03/11/1648243/why-we-need-free-digital-hardware-designs

Links to Wired:
http://www.wired.com/2015/03/need-free-digital-hardware-designs/

It appears to me that Richard Stallman wrote this article.

Here is a quote:
"the concept we really need is that of a free hardware design. That’s
simple: it means a design that permits users to use the design (i.e.,
fabricate hardware from it) and to copy and redistribute it, with or
without changes. The design must provide the same four freedoms that
define free software."

I do like the philosophy behind it, but I am afraid the introduction
of the term "Free Hardware" will increase confusion about hardware
licensing.

cheers,
drew