[Discuss] OSE-21 focused on the billions of poor -- and we have an anti-harrassment policy

Nancy Ouyang nancy.ouyang at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 02:18:22 UTC 2015

Where do you fall on open source menstrual cups? Open-source physical
models for learning about and practicing surgery to correct obstetric
fistulas? OSHW materials for teaching sexuality?

Do you believe maslow's hierarchy as gospel? Do you believe these "billions
of poor" can have fun and be creative, or do you believe they live
eternally grim lives of fighting for food/energy/water/shelter, without
which they cannot live fulfilling lives? :3

More on-topic,
http://ose-21.org/about/anti-harassment-policy/ I see comes from the geek
feminism wiki, which includes the following discussion:
http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Conference_anti-harassment/Policy

For example, conferences about supporting geek women or about social
> justice will necessarily have discussion about topics banned in the example
> policy, originally written for mainstream technical conferences.

We have written an example addendum to the policy that allows discussion of
> these topics in a manner friendly to women and people in gender, sexual,
> and romantic minorities. *We do not recommended including this addendum
> unless you have specific real-world examples of content that absolutely
> require discussion of these topics.*

(purple emphasis mine)

http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Conference_anti-harassment/Example_exception_to_policy

> Exception: Discussion or images related to sex, pornography,
> discriminatory language, or similar is welcome if it meets all of the
> following criteria: (a) the organizers have specifically granted permission
> in writing, (b) it is necessary to the topic of discussion and no
> alternative exists, (c) it is presented in a respectful manner, especially
> towards women and LGBTQIA people, (d) attendees are warned in advance in
> the program and respectfully given ample warning and opportunity to leave
> beforehand. This exception specifically does not allow use of gratuitous
> sexual images as attention-getting devices or unnecessary examples.

I am unaffiliated with comingle.io and have no interest in vetting whether
they would meet the above four requirements, just rather amused and curious
when people transplant or copy things (policies/licenses/UI
elements/technologies) without thinking carefully about the original
context in which they were created.

--Nancy

footnotes: i was curious as i had not heard of this gates foundation
initiative and looked it up:
http://www.impatientoptimists.org/Posts/2013/03/Reinventing-The-Condom#.VW5jFTXL_7A

When used consistently and correctly, condoms are extremely effective at
> preventing HIV infection and unplanned pregnancy.
>
> Quite simply, condoms save lives.  But if condoms are so marvelous, why
> are we seeking ideas for the Next Generation of Condoms in our current
> Round of Grand Challenges Explorations
> <http://www.grandchallenges.org/Explorations/Pages/TopicsOverview.aspx>?
> It may seem obvious, but the success and impact of any public health tool
> hinges on that tool being used consistently and correctly by those who need
> it.

~~~
narwhaledu.com, educational robots <http://gfycat.com/ExcitableLeanAkitainu>
 [[<(._.)>]] my personal blog <http://www.orangenarwhals.com>,
orangenarwhals
Researcher, Postmodern Robotics Group, MIT Electronics Research Society