[Discuss] How to Value your OSH Development

Joshua Pearce professor.pearce at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 19:39:59 UTC 2015

Happy New Year Everyone,

Please find attached a pre-print of the paper on how to calculate the
economic value of open hardware development. Hopefully it is straight
forward - easy to understand and use -- just in time for the beginning of
the year grant submission season -- so you can pull in some more support
for your existing projects.

Many of you will find incredibly high valuations if you use the first two
methods outlined in the paper for your own work  (much higher than the
example shown - the third method is not applicable yet)- and now those
values are backed up by something that should be citable this month.

Throughout 2014 I started to see a lot more open hardware projects
submitted and requests for review for the major funding agencies, but I
still have not seen an open call. We know we are winning when the DOE has a
CFP for an "open-source wind will".

Thank you again to all of you that either corresponded with me directly or
provided good comments and insights to the list for this project.

Thanks
Joshua

Joshua M. Pearce, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
The Michigan Tech Open Sustainability Technology Lab
<http://www.appropedia.org/Category:MOST>
Department of Materials Science & Engineering
Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Michigan Technological University
601 M&M Building
1400 Townsend Drive
Houghton, MI 49931-1295