[Discuss] Proposal: Open Source Hardware Score/Index

Jeffrey Warren jeff at publiclab.org
Fri Feb 27 20:48:20 UTC 2015

Hi, Nancy - not sure if you wanted to reply to just RJ and I, but CC'ing
RJ. I'm busy this weekend, but RJ's been working on a Bower-like system for
open sensor networks, so he knows way more than I about the ins and outs of
how the Bower and NPM servers work.

I'm tempted to just try cloning Bower's "registry" repo, i.e.
https://github.com/bower/registry and see if that could be modified to
work. What do you think?

I agree that we might name the file something broader, but I like the
reference to the really basic "CONTRIBUTORS.TXT" found in many FOSS
projects.

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 2:45 PM, Nancy Ouyang <nancy.ouyang at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> what is and not open source hardware, however they can be helpfull to guide
>> the designers about what they need to do if they (ever) want to release
>> their designs as OSHW.
>>
>> My point is: If we, as members of the OSHWA do not draw a line somewhere
>> and use some tool that allow us to do it in a consistent, replicable and
>> transparent way... Then someone else is going to do it and there is a risk
>> that they draw the line in a place where there is no true intent of
>> following with the "Open Source Hardware" philosophy that the OSWHA tries
>> to promote.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mario.
>>

>> On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 11:05 AM, David A. Mellis <dmellis at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> To me, it’s confusing for the required criteria to yield a score, if
>>> only a perfect score counts as OSHW. That is, a naive reader might think
>>> that 13/15 or 14/15 is a good score, even though we wouldn’t consider the
>>> project OSHW. To me, it seems like we’re better off using a checklist
>>> approach instead, i.e. these are all the things you have to do to be
>>> considered OSHW. OSHWA has some things like that already:
>>>
>>> http://www.oshwa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/oshwchecklist.pdf
>>> http://www.oshwa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/OSHW-May-and-Must.pdf
>>>
>>> Although suggestions are always welcome.
>>>
>>> A related approach I’d love feedback on is whether there is a
>>> well-defined and agreed on set of practices that could constitute either a
>>> weaker or stronger standard than our current OSHW definition.
>>>
>>> For example, can we imagine trying to establish a meaning of “partially
>>> open” hardware — e.g. hardware for which design files are released but
>>> under a more restrictive license than OSHW; hardware for which some files
>>> (like schematic PDFs) are released but not others (like the actual design
>>> files). This is still more open than many pieces of hardware, so it might
>>> be worth trying to recognize these efforts, even if they’re not fully OSHW.
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> In the other direction, could we imagine something like a “pure
>>> open-source hardware” standard, e.g. hardware which is designed using
>>> open-source software tools, and which only uses, say, components that are
>>> standard / widely available / publicly documented?
>>>
>>> David
>>>
>>> On Feb 25, 2015, at 7:12 AM, Mario Gómez <mxgxw.alpha at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Ben,
>>>
>>> That's the idea of the proposed score, there is a set of questions that
>>> evaluate compliance against the OSHW definition. Your project must meet the
>>> required score 15/15 to be considered OSHW.
>>>
>>> The reason why is a score instead a simple evaluation of compliance is
>>> because I was thinking that it also must work as a tool for the begginer
>>> that want to develop OSHW and a guide of which changes are needed to be
>>> compliant. Currently in the way the score is designed you must have 15 of
>>> 15 points of compliance to be considered OSHW if you doesn't meet all of it