[Discuss] Proposal: Open Source Hardware Score/Index

Nancy Ouyang nancy.ouyang at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 19:45:01 UTC 2015

Hey RJ / Jeff / possibly other interested folks,
I've been toying with the idea of making isitactuallyopensource.info which
gives small projects an automatic 0--5star review for about a month now.
For open source software, actually, but could easily be expanded/forked to
cover OSHW.

Maybe it'd be a stopgap until people adopt contributors.json (I'm not sure
that's the ideal name, it seems broader in scope than 'credits', for me
it'd be more like YesThisIsActuallyOpenSource.json) -- it was going to be
some auto-evaluation of how quickly a bot can find your source and license,
and maybe allow users/authors to fill in anything my crappy bot failed at
finding. *

Anyway, I was going to code up a prototype webapp this weekend, if either
of you are free and around Union Sq. this weekend.

Thanks,
--Nancy

* I'm told this is also somewhat of a problem in science / scientific
articles, where people will claim code is open-source and never get around
to actually posting it online (that's fine if you're too busy, just don't
claim it's open source). The ratings I imagine would be humorously like
Michelin's restaurant rating:

5: public domain or copyleft or something
4:
3:
2:
1: obscurely "open-source" (source code printed and buried under a rock in
Siberia)
0: closed-source

It's somewhat tied to the reproducibility movement, since if your software
has undocumented dependencies, it kind of defeats the purpose, but I
haven't thought too much beyond this.

~~~
narwhaledu.com, educational robots <http://gfycat.com/ExcitableLeanAkitainu>
 [[<(._.)>]] my personal blog <http://www.orangenarwhals.com>,
orangenarwhals
arvados.org (open source software for provenance, reproducing, and scaling
your analyses)

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 12:38 PM, David A. Mellis <dmellis at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> open” hardware — e.g. hardware for which design files are released but
>> under a more restrictive license than OSHW; hardware for which some files
>> (like schematic PDFs) are released but not others (like the actual design
>> files). This is still more open than many pieces of hardware, so it might
>> be worth trying to recognize these efforts, even if they’re not fully OSHW.
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> In the other direction, could we imagine something like a “pure
>> open-source hardware” standard, e.g. hardware which is designed using
>> open-source software tools, and which only uses, say, components that are
>> standard / widely available / publicly documented?
>>
>> David
>>
>> On Feb 25, 2015, at 7:12 AM, Mario Gómez <mxgxw.alpha at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> That's the idea of the proposed score, there is a set of questions that
>> evaluate compliance against the OSHW definition. Your project must meet the
>> required score 15/15 to be considered OSHW.
>>
>> The reason why is a score instead a simple evaluation of compliance is
>> because I was thinking that it also must work as a tool for the begginer
>> that want to develop OSHW and a guide of which changes are needed to be
>> compliant. Currently in the way the score is designed you must have 15 of
>> 15 points of compliance to be considered OSHW if you doesn't meet all of it
>> well... then your project simply isn't OSHW. However you'll know after the
>> evaluation how far is your project of getting the goal, it's not the same
>> to get a score of 1 than a score of 14. The system later would underline
>> the things that you  failed to comply and (hopefuly) give you a guide or
>> ideas about what to do.
>>
>> After the 15 "required" points there are 7 aditional points that evaluate
>> good practices. The idea of including this in the calculation of the score
>> is because in some way is easy to comply with the definition but that
>> doesn't guarantee that you are following good practices. Then again if
>> you've got the 15 required points the extra points help you to know if you
>> are following the best practices and giving added value to your project
>> generating a good and accesible documentation.
>>
>> Also I think that the definition is pretty clear of what things prevent a
>> project to be considered OSHW and the questions of the score were
>> elaborated that way, following the definition.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mario.
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 1:55 AM, Ben Gray <ben at phenoptix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Although I like the idea of an index, it seems to be enough of a problem
>>> (even on this list) to recognise what constitutes Open Source Hardware or
>>> not. I feel that adding an index or score could muddy the waters even more.
>>> However it could add to understanding if the compliance elements are
>>> stressed and failure underlined rather than a low score given.

>>> twitter.com/phenoptix